I?m thinking about building some 9849 clones. Or something similar. I have some 414-16b woofers, 32b horns, and either 802D or Emilar EA175 horn drivers with 16 ohm phragms. I would just copy the 32343 xover that came in the 9849, except it was only made in 8 ohm (to my knowledge).
Do you guys know of any Altec speaker that used the 32b with a 16 ohm driver?
I had also thought if I could find a complete schematic for the 32343 crossover maybe I could convert the values over for 16 ohm drivers. I found one schematic that shows all the values except those of the inductors. It was something that was posted on this forum years ago. I haven?t seen a complete schematic though.
Here's the schematic for the 8-Ohm drivers posted by member Salectric over at hifihaven.org
To adapt this to 16-Ohm drivers, halve the value of each capacitor and double the value of each inductor for all components. Conversely, you can mix and match the woofer's and CD's ohmic values by using this technique for the corresponding low-pass or hi-pass sections of the crossover.
Here's the schematic for the 8-Ohm drivers posted by member Salectric over at hifihaven.org
To adapt this to 16-Ohm drivers, halve the value of each capacitor and double the value of each inductor for all components. Conversely, you can mix and match the woofer's and CD's ohmic values by using this technique for the corresponding low-pass or hi-pass sections of the crossover.
Hope this helps.
Thank you. I had not seen this drawing. I understand the ?doubling of the coils, and halving of the caps? because I have seen that done before. And obviously I would use a 16 ohm lpad instead of an 8 ohm. But how about the resistors, do those get halved or doubled?
Thank you. I had not seen this drawing. I understand the “doubling of the coils, and halving of the caps” because I have seen that done before. And obviously I would use a 16 ohm lpad instead of an 8 ohm. But how about the resistors, do those get halved or doubled?
Oops, forgot about the resistors. They double in value going from 8 to 16-Ohm drivers.
I looked at Parts Express, and if I use Dayton coils and caps I am build these for 105$ for the pair. Or if I want to use motor run caps it will be a bit more.
Cool. If you do go ahead with this project, remember to try the Joe Roberts "cross over" which is basically running the 414 full range and the 802 with a single cap in series. That's it.
No first hand experience, but Joe Roberts claims it sounds excellent. The cap for the 16-ohm 802 should be between 1.0 ~1.5 uF. Given its simplicity and the claimed results, there really isn't a reason for not trying it out.
I have my 414 setup via the Joe Roberts method right now. I repurposed some Marantz speaker cabs and use a 414b with a Renkus HF driver on a PE small horn in each cab. The woofer is run wide open and the horn comes in around 6.5khz with just a cap on the HF side.
They sound really good like this run off a little set of Marantz integrated amp and tuner. It’s my everyday system in the living room. I’ve been running this setup 2 or 3 years. Whenever Joe told me that’s how he runs his WE 728B drivers.
Edit: I could be wrong about the 6.5khz. I used whatever cap Joe told me to. I forget the value now, but it’s something around the 1-1.5uf like you mentioned.
- - - Updated - - -
Even though I like that setup, I have been wanting to use these mint 32b horns I have on the shelf. And I figured why not run a lower xover point like 1.5khz so I can actually hear more of the horns.
If it doesn?t sound as good I can always go back to running the woofer wide open and bringing the horn in high
I?m thinking about building some 9849 clones. Or something similar. I have some 414-16b woofers, 32b horns, and either 802D or Emilar EA175 horn drivers with 16 ohm phragms. I would just copy the 32343 xover that came in the 9849, except it was only made in 8 ohm (to my knowledge).
Do you guys know of any Altec speaker that used the 32b with a 16 ohm driver?
I had also thought if I could find a complete schematic for the 32343 crossover maybe I could convert the values over for 16 ohm drivers. I found one schematic that shows all the values except those of the inductors. It was something that was posted on this forum years ago. I haven?t seen a complete schematic though.
Madison makes crossover to your specs about 98 $ each .
Bookmarks